by Catherine Diane Welch
(Georgetown, TN, USA)
Easy Christmas Morning Breakfast Casserole
Every Christmas Eve for approximately 20 years, I have made "Breakfast Casserole". Then early Christmas mornings it was popped in the oven & baked while my sons opened their Santa's gifts. When the presents were all opened, a delicious hot breakfast was ready to eat.
One year I was planning our Christmas Menu, and mentioned that I might not prepare "Breakfast Casserole" and both sons exclaimed ....it would not be Christmas without "Breakfast Casserole".
A Welch tradition was born... "Christmas Breakfast Casserole"
Breakfast Casserole Recipe:
- 6-8 slices buttered bread with edges trimmed
- 2 lbs TN Pride Sausage (1 hot & 1 mild flavor)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups finely shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs, well beaten
- 2 cups half & half cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Breakfast Casserole Directions:
- Place trimmed buttered bread with buttered side down in a 9x13x2 inch baking pan.
- In a large skillet cook sausage with onion and bell pepper.
- Crumble the sausage with a fork while browning.
- DRAIN ALL FAT!
- Pour sausage mixture over the bread.
- Sprinkle cheese over the sausage.
- Beat eggs with the half & half cream, salt and pepper.
- Pour over the cheese layer.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.
- Next AM uncover and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.