Add a little Maui trivia to your next Hawaiian Luau party. There are 23 questions below to try, PLUS a few other icebreaker game suggestions.
01. How many open (versus closed) hiking trails does Maui have?
A. 6 or less
C. 18 or more
02. How many open trails does Lanai have?
03. How many state parks (including recreational areas, wayside areas, and monuments) are in Maui?
04. Camping fees at Maui, Hawaii’s state parks as of 2006 are:
A. $ 3 per campsite per night
B. $ 5 per campsite per night
C. $10 per campsite per night
D. $20 per campsite per night
05. Maui is the ______ of the Hawaiian Islands.
B. Second largest
C. Third largest
D. Forth largest
06. Maui has the ______ number of swimmable beaches in Hawaii.
B. Second largest
C. Third largest
D. Fourth largest
07. Geologically, Maui is the ______ of the six major Hawaiian Islands.
B. 3rd youngest
C. 2nd youngest
8. At one time Maui was probably connected to Lanai and Molokai as a single huge island.
9. Hawaiian Islands exhibit seven climatic sub regions. How many does Maui exhibit?
10. Several times a year, on the average, and usually during the months of October and May, East Maui Mountain (a.k.a. Haleakala Crater) receives ______ inches of snow above the 7,000 foot level.
A. 6 (15.2 cm)
B. 12 (30.5 cm)
C. 24 (61 cm)
D. 36 (91.4 cm)
11. Since winter air temperatures in the Maui area are typically above freezing, even to altitudes of 11,000 feet, there is continuous (year-round) snow cover on East Maui Mountain.
12. Hawaii is the only state found within the tropics (below, or south of the Tropic of Cancer).
13. The waters around Lahaina, Maui are known for the annual visit of the humpback whale during the months of mid-December through mid-May to breed and birth. When born, new calves lack the protective blubber layer they’ll get later in life, so they need warm water to survive. The average water temperatures around Maui is:
A. 65 degrees F (18.3 C)
B. 70 degrees F (21.1 C)
C. 75 degrees F (23.9 C)
D. 80 degrees F (26.7 C)
14. The average depth of the Pacific Ocean is 1–3 miles. The humpback whale prefers to swim and dive to a depth of ______, the same average depth around Lahaina, Maui and southern Lanai.
A. 200 ft (61 m)
B. 300 ft (91.4 m)
C. 400 ft (121.9 m)
D. 500 ft (152.4 m)
15. The following are considered predators of the humpback whale:
A. Few species of shark
B. Orcas (killer whales)
D. All of the above
E. None of the above
16. Because of the warmer Maui and Hawaiian water, orcas, or killer whales, prefer the colder waters of Alaska and are rarely seen around Maui.
17. Leis are made from a variety of items. The most commonly used are
A. fresh orchid (Dendrobium) and plumeria flowers
H. bone and teeth from animals
18. All of the items listed in question 17 except feathers, bone and teeth from animals, have been used in making leis.
19. Oheo Gulch, commonly called the Seven Sacred Pools, is actually made up of about 24 pools.
20. What is the number of telescopes that are located at the top of East Maui Mountain (Haleakala)?
MAUI TRIVIA BONUS QUESTIONS
1. What place in Maui is home to the largest collection of live coral displays in the nation?
2. Why is parasailing (like jet skiing), an activity that is only permitted in Maui from May 16 through December 14?
01. C. 18 / 02. C. 4 / 03. A. 8 / 04 B. $5 per campsite per night / 05. B. Second largest / 06. A. Largest / 07. C. 2nd youngest / 08. A. True / 09. D. 6 / 10. B. 12 (30.5 cm) / 11. B. False / 12. A. True / 13. C. 75 degrees F (23.9 C) / 14. B. 300 ft (91.4 m) / 15. D. All of the above / 16. A. True / 17. A. fresh orchid (Dendrobium) and plumeria flowers / 18. B. False / 19. A. True / 20. B. 2
Maui Trivia questions and answers provided by Scott from Barefoot in Maui.
Jun 30, 19 09:15 AM
Canada Day ideas to add fun and colour to your celebration.
Jun 25, 19 01:34 PM
Challenge friends and family with this July 4th songs trivia quiz based on patriotic lyrics. From traditional to modern, there's a song for every generation.
Mar 06, 19 02:06 PM
Host your best St Patricks Day party ever with these cool party games and activities.Challenge friends to a round of green trivia, write funny limericks, or play a right left leprechaun game.